I have a reverse osmosis kit, and the faucet has a really long bolt which you use to attach it to your countertop. I can't get a tool up there to tighten it because the sink basin is in the way. I wonder if there is something like a sleeve I can put over the bolt so that the tightening nut sits much lower. Then I can get at it more easily with a tool. Does this thing have a name?

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


It's called a "bushing", "sleeve bushing", or "sleeve bearing". They're commonly available at hardware stores in brass, bronze, aluminum, plastic (nylon), and steel, and they can be stacked or cut to achieve a custom length.

  • 2
    Could be as simple as a length of pvc or abs pipe. But you also might consider getting a 'basin wrench'. They're cheap and very handy. Feb 17, 2017 at 20:03

A sink (or basin) wrench is your friend

Basin wrench

The head turns through 90 degrees, and is spring-loaded to fit on the nut you're trying to tighten (or loosen). An invaluable tool for plumbing of all sorts, and very cheap.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.