I've got an exterior door to my house that has some old hinges where top part hangs on the bottom part. See the picture below.

I've got a gap between the top and bottom part so I'm looking for some washers that will do the job.

What is this type of hinge called? That would help me Google for finding washers.

Even better, know where I can find washers with an inner diameter of 5/16" and an outside diameter just under 1/2"?

enter image description here

  • 2
    It's a type of self-closing hinge called a rising butt hinge. They come in left- and right-handed versions. – Andrew Morton Feb 17 '17 at 15:15
  • 1
    I'd spend 3 bucks on a new hinge. – isherwood Feb 17 '17 at 15:19
  • It isn't self closing. The top and bottom surfaces of the hinges are flat, but the picture perspective is a little weird. – gaefan Feb 17 '17 at 15:20
  • 1
    Half pin-barrel hinge.....I would replace the hinges too, might be cheaper and easier in the long run. Think Pirates of the Caribbean. – Jeff Cates Feb 18 '17 at 5:27
  • 1
    Putting these hinges perfectly is almost impossible 1 hinge takes the load but both pivot points are working. We use these on the farm and once you get a few washers in it will lift off the other hinge unless a washer is ground to the correct thickness. I would not worry about it. – Ed Beal Feb 18 '17 at 15:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.