I bought all the metal drain pipes to replace a rotted out existing system under kitchen sink . I showed the plumbing supply vendor a picture and shared my knowledge of the set up . He sold me basically exact matching parts ( metal) / I am very handy at most everything except of course plumbing . The pipes he sold me do match up to my existing rotted pieces except of course some shortening i will need to do with hacksaw. Big dilemma is how do you fit 1 1/2 inch pipe into 1 1/2 inch pipe . the same diameter cannot fit into another pipe of the same diameter

  • 1
    Many store bought drain pipes segments are slightly enlarged on one end so the other pipe slips inside it. If you are to couple two generic lengths of drain pipe, then you need a double female coupling for both ends to slip inside. – Jim Stewart Feb 16 '17 at 10:54
  • thank you so much for that info . I am an electrical engineer and anticipate designs to be appropriate for the job purchased the parts. I did try many failed attempts to make them fit such as heating one side to soften , then cooling to potentially contract one side . Also used the cut and bend method , All failed if course . i did see after more examination that the installer did some jury rigging which of course made my life more difficult – Biomedal Feb 18 '17 at 6:03
  • There are videos online showing how to do this. Google kitchen sink drain replacement. Here is one that covers the material and shows the parts without assuming a lot of prior knowledge: youtube.com/watch?v=HiN4gtzVBtA – Jim Stewart Feb 18 '17 at 7:33
  • After you understand the parts you are to use, you must learn how to measure to cut the parts to length. – Jim Stewart Feb 18 '17 at 7:44
  • Opposite extreme video, a pro using a lot of special tools, gluing the PVC drains together youtube.com/watch?v=H_aU6wTQT8M – Jim Stewart Feb 18 '17 at 7:56

First of all I would have used plastic pipes and fittings as they're much easier to install.

However, as long as you have the metal pieces, you can join them with a "Fernco" rubber joint. It is basically a short rubber hose with hose clamps.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.