The door-bell at the residence is (nominally, was) a simple buzzer between live/neutral that sounded Bzzzzzzzz using a simple electromagnetic hammer powered by the 250VAC. The problem is - some creature went and kept the button pressed too long burning out the buzzer (and some wiring too).
Things to do now -
- Gut the destroyed wiring til lthe nearest junction (I can do this)
- Replace buzzer (No problem)
- Try to put some kind of a delay so the buzzer does not keep receiving supply.
For the last my plan is (admittedly simplistic - feel free to shoot me down) to put an AC capacitor from the ceiling fan (1.5MFD or thereabouts) in series between the line to the buzzer. I'm hoping the buzzer will receive supply until the capacitor is charged up after which it won't until the capacitor discharges on it's own (which may be a while).
What, if any, are the risks inherent in this scheme? Should I put the capacitor in parallel to the buzzer?