Is this possible? Obviously, I have to cut out the drywall to accommodate the new box. Currently this is the set-up: 2 pole light switch image

Ultimately, I need this outlet to contain: 2 light switches and 2 120V receptacles: Switch Plate Config. (I was unable to find a pic for the outlet, could only find switch plate pic). The breaker for the existing switch is 15 amps. Also on the same breaker, a duplex 120V receptacle.

  • 1
    What do you mean by AC switch? A thermostat? Something controlling a window AC? Commented Feb 5, 2017 at 23:09
  • From that switch, you are in North America... but "AC switch" is not a term in common usage here. Jargon terms are difficult to use well; please explain in plain English. Also, please review this about the meaning of "2-gang" etc. and then edit your question as needed. diy.stackexchange.com/questions/11654/… It may be possible to do what you want without hacking drywall, but we need to be clear. Commented Feb 5, 2017 at 23:12
  • Thanks Harper--indeed in USA and will edit my question accordingly.
    – M.Mat
    Commented Feb 5, 2017 at 23:15
  • Do you mean one duplex receptacle (2 plugs) or two duplex receptacles (four plugs)?
    – bib
    Commented Feb 6, 2017 at 0:48
  • 1
    Also, do you know if there's a neutral at this location? Commented Feb 6, 2017 at 1:20

1 Answer 1


This is a single gang 2 switch unit. By removing the single gang box and installing a double gang box (old work box would be the easiest to install). You could use the same switches and add a duplex receptacle. A standard double gang outlet cover will finish it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.