enter image description here

Do I just leave it? PC case had rubber legs but it was stuck to the floor and when I tried to flip it, part of the wooden floor came off with it.

1 Answer 1


What came off is the finish (urethane, polyurethane, or varnish), not the wood.

If left alone, it will absorb dirt, moisture and darken.

I would try a wipe on polyurethane and apply it with a q-tip. Your finish looks like gloss, so I would try that level of sheen. You can always dull it a bit with fine steel wool.

You should try to remove the rubber stain first. That can be done with a cleaner, such as Simple Green or Fantastik type cleaners.

  • Would this just be for aesthetics? I don't care for the looks but fear damage might expand after time, especially the glossy bits. How does fine steel wool darken it, won't that damage it further?
    – Altoban
    Feb 1, 2017 at 0:44
  • 1
    This is just aesthetics. That amount of raw wood will never lead to any real damage, although the wound may widen a bit over time. The steel wool would only be used to dull the finish if a gloss repair were too shiny.
    – bib
    Feb 1, 2017 at 1:25
  • It's not a high traffic area but would like to fix it, I'm only reluctant because I fear the PC case might get stuck again over it and by coating it might have uneven edges. How many coats with the q-tip?Do I also sand it first?
    – Altoban
    Feb 1, 2017 at 1:30
  • Also when you say it will absorb moisture, does that mean it poses a danger to the whole floor?
    – Altoban
    Feb 1, 2017 at 2:37
  • 1
    Do the repair as stated with a q-tip, and when you are ready to put the PC back, put felt pads over the rubber ones. This won't let the PC sit secure, but the chances of a computer sliding are pretty slim unless made to slide.
    – Jeff Cates
    Feb 1, 2017 at 2:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.