My house was built in the 30's. and the walls are tongue and groove. Over the years cracks have formed between the slats. Is there a compound similar to joint compound that I can get to fill them before painting?

  • 1
    Can you post a picture? – mikeazo Jan 26 '17 at 19:35
  • Cracks, or gaps? Wood is generally not considered a suitable substrate for coating with joint compound. You'd want to overlay 1/4" drywall. – isherwood Jan 26 '17 at 19:56
  • 2
    I would suggest paintable caulk. – Dan D. Jan 26 '17 at 20:16
  • 2
    Sounds as if you've got 'ship lap' which is to die for. Why do you feel that you need to hide those horizontal lines? Got to use drywall to do that other wise leave those joints alone to use for texture on your walls. I think it is always better to go with the flow of what material you already have and ship lap is such a great wall. Won't find THAT in today's construction. I'd use an air compressor and sand blast the wall to get rid of built up crap others have used and then paint or stain. – stormy Jan 26 '17 at 20:18
  • 1
    @stormy - I have similar walls to what the OP describes in my 1900's cottage - not ship-lap, but tongue-and-groove. Just like floor-boards, but a bit thinner and nailed to the wall studs. They've shrunk a bit in the last century so I'm squeezing caulk into the gaps before re-painting while still leaving the horizontal tongue-and-groove pattern. – brhans Jan 26 '17 at 20:49

Wood moves. Fact of of life. Engineered wood (plywood, OSB, hardboard) moves less, but it moves.

In the 30's they were still using first growth lumber. Might be worth stripping and then staining, although that is a lot of work. If it's painted they may be lead based paint. Research that. Do NOT let lead paint get airborne (don't sand)

Ok. You don't like wood. Cover with drywall. I don't like quarter inch -- I'm not good enough to get it on flat, and it's not a lot cheaper than half inch. However it's lighter. While you're at that: Shine a bright light at a shallow angle: Is the present wall flat?

You will need to put box extenders on any wiring.

You may want consider taking the T&G off and bringing the wire up to code. Probably knob and tube that old. You may also find you have no insulation in the walls.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy