Several outlets in the basement bedroom do not seem to work. The same thing with the overhead light. However some other outlets in the same room which are mounted at the top of the wall instead of the bottom actually do work. The circuit breaker is not tripped.

Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot or do I have to call an electrician? I don't remember there being anything in the home inspection report saying that these don't work however this is the first time I've tried to use them and they're not outputting any power.

Here are some photos of the circuit breaker and one of the outlets. In case you're wondering where the light is coming from it's from the one outlet that does work near the ceiling: enter image description here enter image description here

Adding some things from my home inspection report:

OPERATION OF GFCI & AFCI (GROUND FAULT & ARC FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTERS) [Inspected] PLEASE BE AWARE -- Recommended upgrade -- GFCI's (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters) were not required, or were required in fewer locations than current standards would require, when this house was built. Where not already present, retrofitting GFCI outlets to replace any outlets lacking ground fault protection at appropriate locations would be a worthwhile and relatively inexpensive upgrade to increase safety and bring up to current standards (Currently GFCI's are not present at: small appliance outlets at the kitchen counters; bathroom outlets; unfinished basement outlets; garage outlets; exterior outlets).

enter image description here

  • 1
    Look for GFCI outlets that are tripped. They could be anywhere. – Tyson Jan 21 '17 at 22:25
  • @Tyson thank you. That was a good thought but I just checked and I don't see any at all. – Hack-R Jan 21 '17 at 23:04
  • Did you look literally everywhere? Even places you don't realize are off? I'm being persistent because part of my day job is talking to customers at an electrical contractors office. I talk people thru this daily. If I were setting odds I'd say 98% chance you haven't found the tripped GFCI to a 2% chance there is another problem. There's a second chapter if you find a GFCI that won't reset, that probably means there is yet another tripped GFCI. – Tyson Jan 21 '17 at 23:21
  • @Tyson I thought I did but I guess after reading that I'm gonna go check again thanks – Hack-R Jan 21 '17 at 23:23
  • 1
    Call an electrician, while they are there have him/her install GFCI's in bathrooms, kitchen, garage, outdoor and basement outlets. It's been required by code in all states for many years. If you somehow don't have any get them ASAP. The inspection report should say you don't have them. – Tyson Jan 22 '17 at 2:36

The electricians just left. The problem was that the treadmill I was using to test the power outlets had 2 power switches whereas I knew of just one, and the bulbs in the ceiling were dead. Power works fine. Doh!

I knew I should've learned to use the multimeter.

  • 1
    This is why when you call technical support, the first three questions are: "Is it plugged in?", "Is it turned on?", "Are you sure?". – Tester101 Jan 25 '17 at 12:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.