Soooo I replaced the rough in valves for my shower ( based on some suggestions here actually ). This is the set that I purchased. Now that it's installed, I'm noticing that the stems are shorter than the old one by about an inch. I'm also super confused about what kind of trim kit I need. Was looking at something like this but it seems to have both valve stems and handles, and I really don't need the stems ( right ? ). Then there is something like this but it includes the whole build kit. So I'm super confused about what I need to finish this rough in kit.

enter image description here enter image description here


Look at the bottom of the Amazon page where it says "customers also bought this" there's trim kits there that have exactly what you're missing. Pretty typical for a contractor to use a rough in kit like you did and then let the customer pick a trim kit later. The only problem you have is you're limited to trim kits that work with the 01-31XA valve body. You should be able to find one you like. Here's one Pfister 01-8CBC Three-Handle Tub and Shower Combo, Chrome Fits 01-31XA valve body The Pfister Three-Handle Tub and Shower Trim Kit comes with classic Brass Cross Handles, flanges, bell-shaped shower head, and a threaded tub spout. The upgraded Polished Chrome finish and Brass Cross Handles is a great addition to any bathroom. Valves not included.

  • Just a warning - I'm not sure the Amazon recommendations for related products are always going to be compatible. I would make sure to double-check taht. Nov 30 '20 at 21:09

Your best bet is to uninstall that valve set and buy a complete faucet set. The valve set you have is if you needed to replace your valves you have and keep the original handles etc. A faucet set would have had everything you need and the proper sizes.

  • so you can't just buy the handles?
    – user379468
    Jan 11 '17 at 20:17
  • You can, however you would need to take that set of valve into your hardware store, in order to match it up. You would need to use the same brand or compatible brand. It would be cheaper and easier to just use a faucet kit with handles, and backsplash covers, etc.
    – Jeff Cates
    Jan 11 '17 at 22:44
  • You can also possibly look up the valve set you bought, and look for compatible matching handle set.
    – Jeff Cates
    Jan 11 '17 at 22:47
  • I think this is excessive. I wouldn't do an uninstall at this point unless there was practically no other option. Nov 30 '20 at 21:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.