Is this (the red and the round brown rusted looking thing) mold?

enter image description here

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


If you zoom in, this looks like a Phillips head screw. The discoloration around the head of the screw likely comes from rusting of the screw.

  • 1
    Or rusting of the rear side panel of the Volkswagen mini-bus. Jan 9, 2017 at 4:08
  • 1
    I agree, the round mark is a popped wallboard screw that is now rusting. Drive it back in, spackle over it, and hit it with some touch-up paint. The other marks, lower on the wall, appear to be years worth of dirty stains caused by splashes, like if someone was carelessly mopping near that wall. Jan 9, 2017 at 4:16

It would really really help if you posted with a lot more context and with a much clearer picture.

I can only deduce that this is a deep pitted chip in the coating for a bathtub. If so this has gotten down into the steel or cast iron of the tub where the iron content has started to rust. Rust, as you may know, is a reddish brown color.

  • No, it's the rear side panel of a Volkswagen mini-bus. Jan 9, 2017 at 4:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.