What I'm trying to do is something like this: enter image description here

I don't want any section of the pipe out of the wall. So I can't use a common "external" cap. I need a cap that goes inside the pipe (or something else).

After sealed, the pipe will still be filled with water and under normal pressure for the kind of pipe. It will be a dead leg.

I'm trying to avoid breaking walls to change the pressure valve or cap the pipe.

  • 1
    Is this a water supply pipe or a drain pipe? You can't be cagey on this site. To get help you have to give the context and purpose of what you are asking about. – Jim Stewart Jan 8 '17 at 0:06
  • 1
    You cannot improvise on potable water supply piping. There are strict code requirements. What diameter is the pipe? Would this turn into a 'dead leg'. Water can sometimes stagnate in such cases, get depleted of residual chlorine, and allow bacteria to grow. I'm not up on plumbing design but it would help if you would describe the situation in detail. – Jim Stewart Jan 8 '17 at 0:16
  • 1
    I don't know of any approved internal plugs for potable water piping, nor how to deal with modifications which create a dead leg. To get info from more knowledgeable people edit your question to explain in detail the current arrangement and what you want to change it to. – Jim Stewart Jan 8 '17 at 0:33
  • 1
    As I understand the OP's comments now in the question as edited this was the water supply to a toilet now removed, and is connected to the potable water supply of the structure. I am not aware of any internal plugs for potable water supply pipes. – Jim Stewart Jan 8 '17 at 10:38
  • 1
    Why does this have to be filled? Why does this have to be capped? Just patch past it and ignore it. – keshlam Jan 9 '17 at 0:55

Now we are getting somewhere. You have a pressure flushing system which is malfunctioning, and I can understand your desire to remedy this.

But your solution is too radical. The first attempt should be to get a better pressure system and not to do radical surgery on your existing piping. Can't you replace the valving with a better quality one? Tank (aka cistern) flushing systems have their own problems.

Is this an emergency? Have you removed the toilet and this is your only one?

| improve this answer | |
  • I think exposing the end of the pipe inside the wall and using an external cap will do it. I insist it can't project past a certain point because I need the tiny space left between the wall and the toilet to put the new pipe for flushing. – Gustavo Jan 8 '17 at 11:44
  • What is the material around the end of the pipe? Is it concrete? You should explain in detail the context of your question? That is, what is the situation as it is and what do you wish to have in its place. If you would describe this, someone may come up with a solution that would never occur to you. I would like to know if this would be a dead leg, how long would it be to where the water flows? – Jim Stewart Jan 8 '17 at 13:11
  • Why are you eliminating a perfectly good water supply line and replacing it with another? – Alaska Man Jan 8 '17 at 16:54
  • The OP should give a picture of the entire bathroom and he has the annotation ability to show exactly what the situation is. – Jim Stewart Jan 8 '17 at 21:40
  • @JimStewart I edited the question again. Take a look. – Gustavo Jan 8 '17 at 22:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.