I just bought my first house everything is going well except for there are 2 light switches on the side of the mantel that don't seem to turn anything on or off. There is a switch on the left side of the fireplace that turns the fireplace on and off. On the right there is a double switch, neither seems to do anything. How do I figure out what they turn off or on?
Without being able to trace the wiring, you'd need current-detecting equipment, and that would only work if the circuit is in use.
They may be thermostat-controlled fan switches. Have you tried them after a fire has been burning for a while?
Otherwise, they may be for switched outlets, possibly on just one half of the receptacle.