I'm building a piece of furniture with an adjustable part and would like to use a toothed disk similar in concept to the examples show below. Before having it custom made, I am searching for a manufacturer, maybe buy something off-the-shelf. Problem is, I'm not even sure what this would be called... Can you tell me a proper/generic name for this?

A web search for "toothed disk" turns up a lot of cogs and wheels, however only one of those hits is for something similar to what I am looking for (and is discontinued): discontinued Sachtler part

The concept is that 2 of these disks are fastened to the opposing pieces. Pulling the 2 pieces together with e.g. a bolt causes the teeth to engage, and so the 2 pieces are fastened to each other at a fixed angle, which can be adjusted to suit needs.

Other real life examples that I have seen this used in:

  • Height adjustable piano stand: Height adjustable piano stand
  • Adjustable press arm: Adjustable press arm
  • 4
    The first picture is called a "Devil's contact lens":. ;) Jan 4 '17 at 2:08
  • Looks like something you could make with a router on a sled, a 45° bit, and a rotary indexing table. I mean, assuming you don't have a little CNC machine :)
    – Samuel
    Jan 4 '17 at 21:27

What we have here is a Hirth Joint.

A Hirth joint or Hirth coupling is a type of mechanical connection named after its developer Albert Hirth. It is used to connect two pieces of a shaft together and is characterized by tapered teeth that mesh together on the end faces of each half shaft.

  • I learn something new here every day. These might help (though I'm not sure about sizes): nord-lock.com/nord-lock/wedge-locking/washers/introduction Jan 3 '17 at 17:08
  • Didn't realize that the two halves of the washer weren't separable. Mea culpa. Jan 3 '17 at 20:41
  • 5
    Possibly useful for searching, from the WP article: "Hirth-like joints are often found on camera support equipment, where they are called rosettes." Jan 4 '17 at 0:51
  • Thanks @Timbo, that's useful info too. You should consider making it a separate answer just for completeness' sake. I missed that in the WP article...
    – frIT
    Jan 4 '17 at 14:31
  • 1
    @Maurycy: I believe those are generally referred to as 'threaded inserts', 'insert nuts' or 'tee nuts' depending on how they dig into the wood. Aug 24 '17 at 23:45

Expanding from my comment on isherwood's answer. From the Hirth Joint article:

Hirth-like joints are often found on camera support equipment, where they are called rosette [joint]s.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.