I have old galvanized steel plumbing. What exactly is this pictured part called and what's its function? This is cold water and leads to a faucet of a utility sink.


  • 1
    It's probably an anti-hammer air chamber. Is there just the one connection? – isherwood Dec 26 '16 at 16:23
  • Yes, off the tee to the bell shaped thing there is just one connection. – dave601 Dec 26 '16 at 16:39

It's probably an anti-hammer air chamber, although I can't seem to find any photos of similar devices from the era to confirm this. Its purpose is to absorb shock from fluid hammer, caused by momentum in the water stream, which can cause result in annoying banging noise and, potentially, damage to the plumbing or connected fixtures.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.