New owners of a row home going through it one room at a time... We decided to tackle the master/front facing bedroom first. It has wood paneling (70/80ish) and I am pretty sure the walls behind are plaster on brick on the exterior wall. thinking to either do foam panels or put up studs and batting - then drywall on top of either one. This is what I am looking to do on the exterior/façade wall, but I am concerned about the two window.... Since I am adding a few inches to the wall the windows will be a few inches deeper. Do I need to reinstall the windows within a deeper frame?

  • I don't know enough about brick construction, but I would expect you can just replace the interior trim to cover the gap.
    – keshlam
    Commented Dec 18, 2016 at 0:26
  • would replacing the interior trim require reinstalling the windows?
    – ecco88
    Commented Dec 18, 2016 at 0:41
  • Again, I don't know enough about brick construction, but in wood this would normally not require any change to the windows themselves.
    – keshlam
    Commented Dec 18, 2016 at 0:52

2 Answers 2


I have done a similar project. Generally, when the wall thickness is greater than the window frame, you install boards as a box to "thicken" the install. That is, you don't have to touch the window proper, but replace the case. It's a bit easier to visualize after you've done your demo.

The quick and dirty solution in an image: enter image description here

  • You'll want 2x framing on all 4 sides.
  • Width of the 1x material should be flush-ish with the drywall to be installed later.
  • Be very careful with the drilling!.
  • The last step before painting and caulking will be to install mitred moulding to cover the exposed edge of the box and the drywall gap.
    • The final step will be to put an attractive potted plant or cat on the sill.

Not knowing the age of the home, most row homes have the windows set directly to the brick. You can add framing to carry the new/salvaged trim around the windows. After the insulation is set a "jamb extension' is added to the interior edge of the window to increase the depth of the window on the interior side. Add a picture of what you have and I or others can elaborate more.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.