I have a screw that is stuck on a metal plate. What type of filing tool will be suitable to file the screw head so that it change from round to square shape?

  • A picture of your stuck screw would really help us understand what you're talking about. Dec 16, 2016 at 11:43

1 Answer 1


For a small screw, a warding file with a flat edge. For a larger screw a normal flat metal file with a flat edge.

By flat file I mean one with a rectangular cross section. These usually have cutting teeth on the larger "face" sides. The thinner edges usually have one narrow edge with teeth and one narrow edge that is a smooth "safe" edge without any teeth. You can buy these at any DIY/hardware store.

This assumes the screw is a normal unhardened steel or brass machine screw of modest size.

A fairly common way to remove stubborn, seized, corroded or damaged screws is heat, penetrating oil and a "screw extractor"

  • Depending on the size of the fastener, I've always had better luck cutting a slot with a rotary tool using a cutoff wheel or similar, and using a straight bladed screwdriver. Works nicely for small fasteners. Dec 16, 2016 at 16:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.