enter image description here

I can't find this specific hammer anywhere online, does anyone know what it's called or used for?


Looks like a run-of-the-mill blacksmith's or stone sledge that someone has customized for a particular purpose.

  • 2
    i am gunna say upholstery tack hammer. – Alaska Man Feb 4 '17 at 12:47
  • If a black Smith hammer a big part of their job was horse shoes, that would support my answer. – Ed Beal May 30 '18 at 22:49

Looks like a tack hammer - also called an upholsterer's hammer.


To me it looks like a farrier's hammer , long nose with a claw designed to twist off the nail. I have several but the hole at the base of the claw would need to be tapered. I like the ones that twist to the side as they are easier to twist off the nails ( I only do emergency shoes can't have a lame horse on a long ride because it threw a shoe).


Custom. Closest is a mash hammer of stone buster but the cut isn't something I've seen.

Even google's coming up short for me so I'm going with custom mash hammer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.