I need some ideas for the transition trim. I don't want it too tall. I have kids and don't want them to trip over it.

Transition between rooms

  • 2
    Hello, and welcome to Stack Exchange. A diagram or a picture showing how tall the flooring is on either side relative to the center would really help. – Daniel Griscom Nov 23 '16 at 12:19
  • You say your plywood is too "tall" (I'd use the word "thick", but hey); have you considered buying plywood of a different thickness? If you need the same thickness for both edges, it should be fairly easy. If one of your flooring types has a different thickness of lip to the other, then it becomes a bit more difficult. – AndyT Nov 23 '16 at 12:32
  • 1
    Run a straightedge from the high plane out over the low plane and tell us what the difference is. It's impossible to tell what we're seeing here. – isherwood Nov 23 '16 at 16:55
  • What flooring is going on either side? Are the two floor coverings of equal thickness? – Sean Nov 23 '16 at 17:23

Usual practice is to bridge the gap with a slightly raised threshold board, sloped on one of both sides, rabbeted underneath to account for the higher floor. I have two such in sight right now.

  • Please post a photo for the OP's convenience. – wallyk Nov 24 '16 at 1:03
  • 1
    I believe this is actually a duplicate, and pix (including mine) were posted on the previous instance ... But I haven't tracked it down yet. – keshlam Nov 24 '16 at 2:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.