I'm installing an IKEA Bjurstra wall-mounted table.

The primary load-bearer is the vertical column, and I've successfully fastened this to a wood stud using 2x #12x2 pan head drill screws:

enter image description here

But the same screws applied to the braces that keep the table flush to the wall, ended up only stripping the dry wall:

enter image description here

So now, though the vertical column is holding up the table just fine, the screws on the braces are loose and hanging out.

enter image description here

  1. What kind of screws should I have used?

  2. Aside from starting over and installing the table at a different height, what can I do to amend this situation?

I am not a DIY-savvy person, so I would prefer ease or convenience over cost-savings. Thank you.

  • Or, did the drywall strip because of how I screwed things in? I used a power drill to first drill a pilot hole, then the power drill again to screw in the screws with moderate but not strong pressure.This actually seemed to have worked for 1 of the 4 screws, but the rest stripped. Nov 22, 2016 at 1:55
  • Next time, try and find the nearest stud - a vertical strip of timber holding up the plasterboard - and screw into that instead, if it is close enough. Otherwise, as noted, use a "readi-driver" or any other type of plasterboard anchor (not just a rawl-plug - they don't have enough holding power for plasterboard)
    – MikeB
    Feb 25, 2020 at 10:28

2 Answers 2


Agree that you want some dry-wall anchors. Just running a screw into drywall has absolutely no holding power - you need to get something with a very coarse thread, or an anchor that goes through the wall and holds it from the rear side.

Whatever you select, look for the load rating, and divide by 4 for the maximum weight of table and its loading. I prefer Toggler metal connectors (these have a 265lb rating in drywall - and I doubt that the table and contents will weigh more than 66lb).

To install these you need a 1/2" drill bit - so you can reuse the holes you've already drilled for the screws that Bjursta'd out.


I expect you want some kind of wall plug. You would take the table down, install the wall plugs (which generally need a bigger hole than screws so your exiting screwholes shouldn't be an issue) and then screw the shelf to the wall plugs.

Here in the UK I would look at something like this, but i'm not sure how american drywall compares to our plasterboard (also not sure if that one is the right size, I generally judge sizes of such things by eye rather than measurements).

  • 1
    Here is an American equivalent. The term is wall anchor or screw anchor. There are other types, but I do like these. homedepot.com/p/…
    – DaveM
    Nov 22, 2016 at 2:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.