I'm having trouble matching this drywall texture:

enter image description here

enter image description here

Would appreciate help on this.


  • What are you having trouble with?
    – mmathis
    Nov 14, 2016 at 21:19
  • @mmathis I don't know what is this texture and how to match it. Doesn't look like knockdown to me 🤔 Nov 14, 2016 at 23:03
  • Kinda looks like popcorn, that's been scraped off and painted over, with a dirty brush. Definitely "spattered" on, with a gun though...
    – tahwos
    Nov 15, 2016 at 1:22
  • Pretty sure it is a "skip trowel". I think sometimes they even add sand or something to it to make it grainy.
    – Damon
    Nov 15, 2016 at 6:00
  • @Damon how do you mix/apply it? Nov 17, 2016 at 2:57

1 Answer 1


That's known as a "knockdown" texture, as it's sprayed on the wall and later "knocked down" with a wide taping knife.

Exactly how it's done is beyond the scope of this answer, but here are some resources.

  • 1
    Hmm I thought knockdown results in smaller and more edgy spots. The ones I have are much larger Nov 14, 2016 at 23:02
  • It depends largely on the mud mix and technique.
    – isherwood
    Nov 15, 2016 at 1:44
  • Downvoter, care to comment? Wall texture varies widely depending on a number of factors, but you don't get uniform plateaus like this without a trowelling technique commonly known as knockdown. If you disagree, at least offer a reason.
    – isherwood
    Nov 15, 2016 at 14:27
  • Down vote was because It is not a knock down.
    – Damon
    Nov 15, 2016 at 14:40
  • Left a comment on the OP question.
    – Damon
    Nov 18, 2016 at 2:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.