We have a 100-year-old house with a double brick chimney, meaning there's an inner and an outer brick wall. The inner wall is reportedly in not-great, somewhat deteriorated shape. There is no clay or other lining, just a brick and mortar inner layer.

I'm wondering, could it ever be safe to use a chimney like this? It's my understanding that most of the flammable deposits that burning wood creates won't be present when using vented gas logs.

I have received three conflicting opinions by professionals, each possibly with a profit motive to be less than honest. One of the companies insisted that it would be unsafe to use the chimney without adding a modern liner, but based on evidence, they seemed to be the least trustworthy.

1 Answer 1


If you have a fire in that fireplace, you really need the chimney relined. Its not that it will be any deposits, that is true, but there will still be a possibility of carbon monoxide leaking into the home, if not other fumes.

There are companies that will clean the interior, place a long balloon inside, inflate it and pour a product around it to seal the brick.

Another way to do it is to have a semi-rigid stainless steel pipe set in place. I have only seen this done with furnaces, not fireplaces, but there may be a way nowadays to tie it into the smoke chamber, after it has been restored.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.