in replacing a ugly old light switch, i see that inside the box, the white wire is connected through from top/bottom, and the switch has 2 blacks and a red, no ground. This switch controls an outdoor motion sensor floodlight. I have attached a picture. This is the only switch that controls the light.

Can I just put another 3-way switch in, wire the same way, and ignore that fact that I do not need a 3way?


Jeffenter image description here

  • Or just cap the traveller and use a standard 2-way switch. I'd bet that there's something you aren't aware of with this circuit, though. – isherwood Oct 14 '16 at 15:44
  • Can you post a photo of the box the motion sensor light is in? – ThreePhaseEel Oct 14 '16 at 21:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.