enter image description hereThis is on a valve for a fancy walk in tub. The nut tightens it against the top of the tub to hold it in place.

But I have no idea what this kind of nut is called, nor what tool to use to properly tighten it. I can get it kind of tight using vice grips, normal wrenches, and hammering it with a flat head screwdriver.

Some of them are about 2 inches in diameter, others 2.5-3 inches.

But surely there is a proper tool for this? What's it called?

  • I've always just used a slotted screwdriver and the palm of my other hand. Works for me. – BillDOe Oct 8 '16 at 18:37

For slotted collet nuts I use either an adjustable or slotted spanner wrench.
Spanner Wrench
Slotted Wrench Adjustable Spanner


Although you can nearly always use something from a normal toolbox, a hook spanner is ideal. One of the top two in this image would work (the third is a pin spanner): Spanners via ja.wikipedia


The usual procedure is to use a slotted screwdriver against the tabs, and strike lightly with a hammer or mallet.

source USPTO US5374785

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.