I had this wire left over and thought I might as well use it if I can. I think it will work but I just wanted to make sure! So can I use this speaker wire for the Rc and C terminals on my thermostat? The other end will be going to a 24volt AC transformer...more specifically: https://www.amazon.com/Elk-TRG2440-24VAC-Transformer-Fuse/dp/B0007N5LJK/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thank you!

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


Typical "thermostat wire" is a NEC/UL type CL2 cable, just like your speaker wire says it is, so as a replacement for an 18/2 thermostat cable, this will work just fine.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.