19 events
when toggle format what by license comment
Oct 8 '19 at 0:18 history protected CommunityBot
Sep 28 '12 at 19:27 comment added Jeremy W. Sherman @Tester101 Good point about the stores just following nationwide trends. In the mean time, it's frustrating if you are aware of the move to TR receps.
Sep 28 '12 at 19:14 comment added Tester101 @JeremyW.Sherman if you're talking about stores like Home Depot and Lowes, you have to remember 1) they are not electrical supply companies, and 2) code does not say stores can't sell non-TR receptacles. Big box stores do not always keep up with codes, and may continue to carry non-TR receptacles until they are out of stock and/or the code is adopted nation wide.
Sep 28 '12 at 18:33 comment added Jeremy W. Sherman @Tester101 This might be worthy of a separate question, but I'm in Georgia which is listed as adopting the 2011 NEC, and it's still kind of a pain to track down the TR receptacles in stores, and you trip over about 20 varieties of non-TR receps along the way. What gives?
May 4 '12 at 17:18 history edited Chris Cudmore CC BY-SA 3.0
edited title
May 2 '12 at 20:14 history tweeted twitter.com/#!/StackDIY/status/197781057230225408
May 2 '12 at 19:30 comment added KeithS @Tester101: Right, the end result being that the 2008 code as interpreted only required TR for new installs.
May 2 '12 at 19:28 comment added Tester101 @KeithS I believe NEC 2008 had the TR requirement as well, but it wasn't written well. It was interpreted to only be required in New installs, while the intention was to cover replacement as well (see NEC 2008 406.11). The section has been rewritten in 2011 to be more clear (see NEC 2011 406.12-14)
May 2 '12 at 19:27 comment added KeithS ... And call your county clerk. In the NEC and a majority of jurisdictions a homeowner is allowed to do their own electrical work, but a for-hire electrician must be licensed. Work of a certain scope, such as replacing your electrical panel, may be required to be permitted and/or inspected. Wiring a replacement plug generally doesn't qualify.
May 2 '12 at 19:19 comment added Tester101 @DrewSpickes You can check the Adoption of the National Electrical Code® map
May 2 '12 at 19:18 history edited Drew Spickes CC BY-SA 3.0
Clarified that I originally confused the terms series and parallel with inline and not inline.
May 2 '12 at 19:10 comment added Drew Spickes @KeithS Interesting point. How can I check if my jurisdiction has adopted the 2011 NEC? Furthermore, how can I check that I don't have to be a licensed electrician in my jurisdiction to perform repairs in my own home? I've never considered that before.
May 2 '12 at 18:38 comment added KeithS One thing, as an aside; if your jurisdiction (state, municipality) has adopted the 2011 Nat'l Electrical Code as legally binding, then any outlets you install in your home must be tamper-resistant (it'll say TR on the face of the outlet) in addition to having to be GFCI-protected in kitchens, bathrooms, and other wet areas. If the GFCIs you bought don't have the temper-resistant shutters, it is illegal to install them even as replacements; return them and ask for tamper-resistant GFCIs.
May 2 '12 at 17:35 answer KeithS timeline score: 5
May 2 '12 at 17:20 answer Chris Cudmore timeline score: 3
May 2 '12 at 17:18 answer Tester101 timeline score: 19
May 2 '12 at 17:08 comment added Tester101 I think you are confusing series and parallel, with inline and not inline.
May 2 '12 at 16:59 answer Steven timeline score: 11
May 2 '12 at 16:31 history asked Drew Spickes CC BY-SA 3.0