New answers tagged storage
Joint compound needs air to grow mold. So before you are putting lid on, flatten the compound surface level and then add a couple inches of water, then put on lid. Also if you have mold in your compound just throw it away. Would you want moldy materials put in your house?
Mold grows on any surface that provides food for growth. Joint compound contains organic compounds and lots of moisture. The compound will only last a finite length of time even under "ideal" conditions (if mold spores don't ruin it drying-out will). To slow down its' expiration time: when storing the compound for any length of time, place the plastic ...
Mix in a bit of chlorine bleach. It won't affect the compound and the odor dissipates fairly quickly upon use.
Top 50 recent answers are included