New answers tagged


Building official, zoning official, sanitarian or department of public health and if natural water ways or wetlands are involved, the wetlands commission, EPA and department of environmental protection. Usually a good general contractor will know the proper route to success.


Code making bodies refer to them as the "Authority Having Jurisdiction" and they could be municipal, county or state depending on where you live. I had to go to one entity to get a well and septic permit, another one to get an address for my property and a third to get my building permits. It is an arduous process but is required to ensure safe building ...

Top 50 recent answers are included