Tag Info

New answers tagged


If replacing the bulbs did not help you might have a short in the fixture. By pass switch and turn on the breaker will confirm. But likely either a bad socket or transformer because the wrong dimmer was used. It is possible with today's modern low volt lights for the lights to have a electronic transformer instead of the traditional magnetic type. ...


It appears from the 45606 manual that this model is not designed for use with anything but incandescent loads: This dimmer switch is designed for use only with permanently installed incandescent lighting fixtures. Do not use it to control fluorescent lighting, transformer supplied lighting/appliances, motorized appliances or receptacles. The ...


Cut a potato in half and stick one end into the broken bulb and twist. Seriously works.


Provided the light-fitting is accessible, use rubber gloves. It works every time!


I use a suction cup dent puller to grip the glass on computers and tablets when there's no handle: I doubt that glass is much different than the glass in the stuck bulbs, strength-wise.


In my experience many times bulbs of this nature tend to, separate from the metal seating as you apply the pressure needed to twist them out. If this becomes the case usually the glass can be removed carefully, while turning slightly to snap any filament that may be still attached to the glass. Power Off and as suggested use pliers to ease the metal ...


Use your vacuum cleaner. With the vacuum turned on, place the hose or extension tube on the light bulb, turn the tube and the light comes out. The same principle can be used to reinstall the replacement bulb.


I've done this using long nose pliers for the first few turns, until there were enough millimeters free to grab it with fingers. You have to be very, very gentle with them. I wouldn't use them on CFL bulbs because they are toxic when broken. But if you don't have the other tools suggested and the duct tape doesn't work, they are worth a try with a normal ...


Do you have a glass/cup with a similar circumference? If so, stretch the wrist of a latex glove around the rim. Fit the rim of the cup around the bulb and twist.


Use oven mitts with silicone grips Works like magic for opening light fixtures, changing light bulbs, opening jars, and so on. If you don't have silicone oven mitts, you can try a silicone baking mat. Just push the mat against the face of the light bulb and unscrew it.


Another trick is to pull the trim out with the bulb but not all trims connect the same. Some use springs, some clip into a socket, while others are sealed. But usually works for me because I do it all the time.


Get a light bulb changer pole at your local home improvement store or your favorite hardware store. The ones with suction cups are best for flood lights, where the face of the bulb is a little flatter, but might have a tougher time gripping smaller, rounder light bulbs where you need something that can fit up inside the fixture and grip the sides of the ...


Take a piece of duct tape and wrap it in the shape of an "O", with the sticky side of the tape on the outside. Stick the loop of tape to the face of the light bulb such that it is secure. Put your hand (four fingers) inside the loop and twist counterclockwise to loosen the bulb. Credit: https://youtu.be/NNGyhRu7c0I?t=2m


There's a company that makes suction cup hooks/hangers. You put the suction cup on an object and swing the hook. I'll bet you could attach one of these to the glass and use it to unscrew the bulb. I found this on Amazon. Edit: if the bottom of the bulb is highly curved, this won't work. The surface has to be flat or only slightly curved.

Top 50 recent answers are included