Tag Info

New answers tagged


Warning: You'll be working around live electrical wires during this procedure. If you don't feel comfortable doing so, please contact a local licensed Electrician. Okay, going off of what you have, you need at least a 3/4in conduit back to the panel. You are going to need to pull a white and a green from the panel to the receptacle box and install a ...


I feel your pain. The simple truth is that having a degree in Electrical Engineering is actually a detriment in this case. The NEC, and permits and inspections are a part of civilization. In engineering speak, most of the NEC is orthogonal to electronics. The NEC prevents electrical anarchy. That's all it is for and that's what it does. Anarchy in ...


The normal rule in the USA is: You can work on your own home without an electrician's licence, but you can't hire yourself out to others. Permit requirements don't change. So sketch out what you want to do and take it down to your local building authority. The permit may take some time to get, but won't be expensive compared to your salary. Given that ...


It's your house, do what you want. This isn't England/Soviet Russia/Germany (yet). You should see the "professional" electrical work in my house. Octopuses, bare wires on insulators, nails and romex. Every time I do anything I reduce the chance of a fire by 10%.


I wouldn't call the building department. I'd call your neighbor. Find out what the locals do. You can do what you want in your own house. Something as simple as a couple lights and a switch should be done before you've finished reading this post.


Contact your local building department, and ask them if this would require a permit, and if you can do the work yourself. That's the only way to know for sure, as different areas have different rules. You'll likely have to pay a small fee for the permit, and have the work inspected at different stages of the job (or maybe only once it's done). Most areas ...


You could wire a 20 amp breaker into the adapter. Something along these lines would be perfect. Easy to reset as well.


You can use nonmetallic sheathed cable in basements, as long as you follow a few rules. If you're using 12 AWG cable, and you're installing the cable at angles to the joists. You'll have to pull the cable through bored holes, or along running boards. You cannot staple the cable along the bottom of the joist. When you come down the wall, you'll have to ...


Yes. You can protect the downstream receptacles, by supplying them from the LOAD side of a GFCI device. Or you could install new cable.


Just make sure that if you are "close" to the rating of the circuit breaker that you have the appliance on a circuit of its own. In your case, having a 15 amp appliance on a 20 amp breaker (assuming the receptacle is the same as the breaker) will cause you no problem. However, if you should put two 15 amp devices on the same 20 amp breaker, you could ...


It can be done, but you'll have to swap out the breaker. A "standard" US receptacle is rated for 125 volts, and 15 or 20 amperes. So you'll be going from a 30 ampere double pole breaker, to a 15 or 20 ampere single pole breaker. You could install a 15 or 20 ampere double pole breaker, but since you're not using the second line there's no point. In the ...


First you need to figure out the parts you need. Turn the power to the circuit off and remove the outlet. You need to figure out the gauge of the existing wiring. Since it is a 30 amp circuit, the wire should be 10 gauge, so my answer will mostly assume that. Now you can go to the store and buy a 20 amp outlet, a face plate, a 20 amp breaker, and a breaker ...


Try turning off your air conditioner. Your return air duct might be part of the wall.


If the outlets are all 2-prong openings, then obviously the sockets are all ungrounded which is a bad thing. Running grounds to all the outlets in the house and replacing the sockets with grounded 3-prong sockets could be annoying.


You, or your house inspector, would want to investigate if the "modern wiring" makes it all the way to the outlet boxes (in which case a simple replacement will get you grounded 3-prong outlets) or if it stops short and leaves you with old ungrounded wire to the actual outlets (in which case you'll want to lower your offer by several thousand dollars to pay ...


At the link you provided, Leviton has a product sheet with installation instructions. As they note in there, if you need to connect two wires each for line and neutral, you must use the backwire connections: To Side Wire (if more than one wire is required on a terminal, you cannot side wire and must use the backwire option) What that means is that ...

Top 50 recent answers are included