Tag Info

Hot answers tagged

22

Don't try painting over mold. Use bleach to get rid of it first. Make sure the entire area is completely dry. Then use a special anti mold paint.


21

A bathroom exhaust fan should vent directly outside with its own dedicated duct, for exactly the reasons you are stating.


15

Kilz is not anti-mold paint. Once the source of the moisture has been corrected, go to your local Home Depot and buy Concrobium fungicide spray. It's all natural and an encapsulant. It comes in a spray bottle. Follow the directions. This will kill the mold as well as prevent new mold from growing. Once that is done you can cover the area with Zinnser Bulls ...


13

There could be several factors that may be contributing to the situation. It sounds like an air quality problem. This could be caused by airborne mold spores, chemical contamination from bad paint or flooring adhesives (VOC's) etc. , CO from a malfunctioning heating or A/C unit or something from outside getting in. I have had to address this problem with ...


11

First find out whether it is mold or not. What you do next depends on this. Assuming it is mold you need to do two things. Clean it off - disinfectant/bleach solution should do the job. Find out why it's forming. This is the important bit as if you just do the first step it will come back. The usual cause is condensation which in a bathroom means you ...


10

Andrew, excellent question and great photos. The problem is a bit complicated. I can see from the photos that the water migration is coming from the top, perhaps even above the top of your window. Anytime the plaster separates from a concrete base, it means the moisture is coming through the concrete, most likely from the out of doors in your case. ...


10

To remove surface mold I use a 4:1 mixture of water:bleach. Spray on liberally and allow to sit for about 15 minutes. Rinse with water and wipe clean. If you need to use a brush to scrape off heavy deposits, I recommend brushing away from your face or preferably wear an appropriate mask and goggles. The mold spores are probably more dangerous than the ...


9

Every answer here suggests using a water-bleach solution, though I am suggesting cleaning the mould (if that is what it turns out to be) with just soap and water. And I have my friends Health Canada and the Canadian Mortgage and Housing Council to back me up. CMHC is not a health authority, but they do have an interest in damage to mortgaged-backed homes ...


8

A product called "Killz" is an anti mold paint. Might try spraying the area down with a bleach/water mixture (I believe the ratio of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water is sufficient). Spray it down and let it dry. The bleach should kill the mold off in a few days.


8

This is a problem best suited to the professionals, but if you must do it yourself the number one priority is the safety of you and those around you. This can be a very hazardous task, if you do not take every precaution to contain and remove the spores properly. The first thing you'll have to think about is containment, you don't want to spread the mold ...


8

Vapour barrier goes on the cold side of the insulation. The problem here is that for an unheated, Un-airconditioned shed, the outside will always be the cool side. Insulation won't stop heat transfer, it only slows it down. A closed shed, no matter how well insulated, will always turn into a sauna. Now you have a hot, steamy inside, and a (relatively) ...


7

The pink stuff is a bacterial biofilm. Cleaning agents containing bleach work well to kill the stuff.


7

I would second the comments recommending a second opinion. A sump is in the basement to allow water to be drained away if it accumulates around the footings. If there's no water there it quite probably means that your water table is low enough that there's not seepage. It also would indicate that you have decent drainage around the house and rain water is ...


7

General construction advice for 'general' showers: In/on the walls: use RedGard as a vapor barrier over the cement board use paperless or blueboard sheetrock use mildew resistant pain adequately vent the room with a proper exhaust fan In the shower construction itself: seal all caulk properly make sure standing water can't puddle Now, all that said, ...


7

I am a certified home inspector, so I am a little reluctant to answer this question. I will, however spill a few thoughts. In recent years, the tests you refer to have become fairly popular, but normally in houses that show some signs of water or mold. I personally would only recommend an infrared scan if there was suspicious water spots or paint peeling on ...


7

General practice is going 6 inches above molded area and cut it out. You must inspect the backside of the drywall. If you can't you need to keep cutting out until you hit 6 inches of unaffected wall. You then need to follow a mold remediation plan - not sure how anything else in the wall looks but useless replacing the drywall if you will put up new ...


6

The last couple pictures appear to be wood boring insect damage (termites or carpenter ants). I'd spray the area with pesticide, setup bait traps in a perimeter around the home, and in this location, sister or replace the stud with a pressure treated 2x4.


6

Cover the vent They sell magnetic vent covers at nearly all hardware stores. Buy one, and cover the vent when it's not being used. This will prevent moist air from entering the vent, though it may not stop water if it pools around the vent. Install an exhaust fan Install a properly sized exhaust fan in the bathroom. Let it run during showers, and for ...


5

When I've had to re-stain decks or chairs etc with a little mold on them I've always used a bleach solution. Mix a little bleach with some water and apply it to the mold (spray bottle, or brush). The bleach will kill the mold quickly (just let it sit there). Then lightly sand the mold off (just to get rid of the moldy texture) and re-paint. Good luck


5

There are thousands of species of mold known to Science, with different species being found in different parts of the world. There isn't any one "crawlspace" mold or "air duct" mold, it's just whatever spores of whatever species happened to take a foothold there. Which one is more dangerous will depend on the particular species of mold and the sensitivity ...


5

You can probably just wipe it off with a bathroom cleaner or some diluted bleach. You should also determine the cause of it, otherwise it will just return. Often in bathrooms it is from a lack of ventilation.


5

I think what you are seeing could be fluoride that is put in the water by the utility company. Try CLR or Clorox clean-up –


5

You can wrap the drain line in electric pipe heating tape to prevent it from freezing: You should be able to find it at your local home improvement store.


4

You want to apply a penetrating grout sealer. This one says that it last up to 5 years depending on conditions. The key for the sealer to last as long as possible on a backsplash is to avoid cleaning it with "harsh cleaners" like bleach and antibacterial sprays. You want to use something that is not going to remove the grout sealer when cleaning the ...


4

You need to: If possible - remove the source of dampness (not always possible) Dry the area Paint on a damp-seal product (many available) Once dry you can paint over the damp seal. Good luck


4

You can start off with taking a 50/50 solution of bleach and water, then spraying the mold with it. Wait a few days. To prevent it in the future, when showering you should be using the bathroom fan to allow the hot air to be exhausted outside rather than condense on the walls and ceiling (which are made of drywall of course). They also make ...


4

There's a lot of good advice here on cleaning the inside of the fridge. One thing I'd like to add: Don't forget to periodically clean the fridge's coils. The coils are typically found underneath or on the back of the fridge, and are meant to dissipate the heat. The coils will, over time, get blocked with dust etc. and the fridge runs less efficiently as a ...


4

Mold detection and identification can be done in two ways. Visible mold can be collected on a test tape, and air borne spores can be collected with an air sample kit. Either way, samples must be sent to a lab for microscopic inspection and ID. Mold and mold spores can range from common everyday varieties that rarely have negative effects on humans to very ...


4

My guess is that the mould has grown into the grout; live or not, the bio-gunk they have produced has stained the grout. A complete re-tiling should not be necessary; you should be able to simply remove the old stained grout between tiles and re-grout. You can remove and replace the stained/mouldy caulking as well. There are attachments for almost any ...


4

Vinegar works just as well, without all the worries - use 30 percent vinegar to 70 percent water. Also, make a habit of wiping down the shower with your towel after you dry off. It'll collect all that water, which will then be vented out of the house when you wash & dry it.



Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible