Tag Info

New answers tagged


I'm using a system which is basically a set of heavy-duty shelf brackets mounted to the wall; the lumber then acts as its own shelves. Each of the woodworking tool catalogs I get has their own version of such a system, with different tradeoffs between price, adjustability, weight capacity, and so on.


There is a product called Thermo-Lite which is probably what you want. it's available in a sheet/board form and it contains a closed cell foam with fiberglass reinforcement. It's incredibly nasty to work with (fiberglass dust) and it isn't terribly strong, but it's leagues ahead of any type of foam insulation board that has been suggested. I work in the ...


Practically speaking, SIPs are about it. Sounds like you might be thinking of some of the hopeful but largely unrealized press releases for autoclaved concrete or foamcrete (two different products, both with VERY limited practical availability despite nice websites and articles) though the "dimensional lumber sizing" aspect does not fit with that.


Lots of things are better insulators than wood. Most of them aren't strong enough to be structural, or not better enough at insulating to bother, since generally people insulate with insulation materials that are designed to be good at that. If the thing you're describing existed, people would almost certainly build houses out of it instead of wood, unless ...


Most mills do not produce and sell treated wood rated for contact with the ground, so any wood in your deck that will be in contact with the ground should be treated, and gotten wherever it is to be got. Buying wood from a mill is often cheaper, though it is not always. A smaller operation with a smaller economic influence (like most mills open to the ...


Crown side down though helps prevent the boards from warping as much because the frame stops it from warping. Its easier for it to pull out the nails then it is to push through the frame

Top 50 recent answers are included