Tag Info

New answers tagged

1

Since you already have the ventless appliance, you should have a carbon monoxide (CO) detector in your home. Ideally, there would be more than one per floor with detectors located near the primary inhabited areas. Under ideal conditions, both propane and natural gas (since you didn't specify) will combust to produce pure water (H2O) and carbon dioxide ...


0

Some gas fireplaces have been sold that are designed to be used without venting, on the argument that they aren't producing more CO/CO2 than a gas oven would. I've never been convinced that I believe the argument, and would definitely recommend installing a combined CO/gas alarm as a basic safety precaution; compared to the cost of the gas fireplace, they're ...


1

Well you and the dogs aren't dead, so that's a good sign. I wouldn't keep doing it, though. Venting carbon monoxide into your living space isn't great for your health.


3

If they are not dead, and you are not dead, none of you got poisoned enough to matter. Just don't do that again. Buy a carbon monoxide detector (or two, or three), and put a note on the fireplace reminding you to open the flue.


0

It could be a number of different things. Could be the electronics, could be the gas valve getting stuck open, could be loose/open wire. You will need to get the manual for the unit and look at it's trouble shooting guide. If it is not covered in there, time to break out the multi-meter to trace what is going on. Having a wiring schematic will help with ...


3

The studs are likely following a standard layout such as 16 inches on center (16 oc) this is so that plywood/sheetrock will typically fall on a stud without the need to cut the 8 or 12 foot piece. For your application, I would recommend (based on similar jobs in the past): Inserting 2 x 4 blocks horizontally in between the vertical studs at the edge of ...



Top 50 recent answers are included