Hot answers tagged disposal
From the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) of Klean-Strip® Boiled Linseed Oil. Flammable Properties and Hazard RISK OF FIRE FROM SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION EXISTS WITH THIS PRODUCT. Oily rags, waste, and other oily materials can cause spontaneous combustion fires if not handled properly. Immediately after use, and before disposal or storage, you ...
Your local fire department should take them off your hands and dispose of them properly (in an environmentally safe manner) and safely. I say the above, as I recently wanted to dispose of some old engine coolant in a responsible manner and didn't know where I could take it for disposal, so I went to our local fire station to ask them, they pointed me in the ...
The trouble with linseed oil, especially boiled linseed oil, is that it generates heat as it dries. If you leave BLO-soaked rags in a pile, the drying process proceeds but heat is trapped. The drying process accelerates as the rags warm up, and the temperature rises to the point of ignition. Spreading the rags out lets the heat escape so that the drying ...
Mirrors are made up of two parts, the glass and then a reflective coating on the back. Because of this, they are not considered 100% glass and many times the town's recycle pickup (if your have one) for glass will not take them because there will be an additional process to separate the glass from the reflective material backing. Possible disposal methods: ...
to avoid fire you can do a few things: remove fuel: not as easy, but washing the rags and disposing of the waste water properly should reduce the risk here remove air: storing the rags in a sealed can or under sand or submerged in water (you can add detergent to wash them at the same time) will take care of that remove heat: if you keep the rags under the ...
Contact your local council (or equivalent) to see if they have a safe disposal site. Another alternative could be to contact a local mechanic or scrap yard to see how they dispose of petrol from the cars they deal with. You never know they might offer to take it off your hands for you.
The municipalities just don't want it liquid or with the lid on. Imagine a paint can full of paint when the compactor squishes down on it. Paint everywhere! You can put whatever you want in the paint to make it more solid. Kitty litter, the store bought stuff drying agent, sand. I have used some old mortar that I had on hand. You just want to make sure ...
If you can not find someone to take care of the acid for you, it is possible for you to dispose of it yourself. this page which references batterycouncil.org which most discreetly describes the process outlined here that states: Gather together all the acid you need to dispose of and put on some sort of concrete pad. The high acidity may harm grass and ...
I'm going to second mikes advice about wearing rubber gloves and safety glasses, especially if you can't guarantee that the container is properly sealed. If you get any on you, simply flush with lots of water, and apply a paste of baking soda and water to neutralize (I would flush first while someone else mixes the paste). For transport, just make sure that ...
Remove it from the basement while wearing safety glasses and rubber gloves and a rubber rain coat if you have one.If you can get a plastic storage container store it out side in that.You can try an auto supply store or battery specialtyshop to see if they will take it or anyplace that recycles metal as most take batteries.Some communities have a ...
Look to see if your municipality has a home hazardous waste disposal. I have in a large metro area and they have multiple locations and open Tue-Sat. I've been in another where they were only open once a month. But it is a good location to dispose of batteries, paint, meds and other chemicals I don't need around the home.
Open the lid and let it dry out. Place it out of the way somewhere where rainwater will not cause it to overflow. Throw it out in a few weeks when it is mostly dried up. Do not worry about VOCs, this is an acceptable method of disposal.
What I have done on several occasions is to pour unwanted latex paint out on a sheet of plastic in the sun. spread it out so there are no deep puddles. After it dries, simply fold up the plastic and dispose as any other solid waste. After the can is dry, it also can go into recycling or the trash.
I picked up a leaflet on paint re-use at the local B&Q (UK DIY store) the other day. If you can't give it to a community re-use scheme they say stir in sawdust/wood shavings/a proprietary paint-setting product (similar to cat litter). The set (emulsion/latex) paint can then be disposed of as normal waste and if you empty the tin in the process that may ...
NO. You CANNOT power a disposal from an existing kitchen counter receptacle circuit. If the dishwasher is on a 20A circuit typically you can share that circuit, other than that usually they are on a dedicated circuit.
Look for a scrap metal dealer in your area. If you deliver the steel parts to the recycler, you ought to get at least $400 per tonne (which is $440 per U.S. ton or $0.22 per pound). See this.
Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible