New answers tagged


The legs you have may or may not provide the stability that you seek. Hard to say. The legs you link to probably would work fine for most purposes. However, a skirt between the legs would improve the stability a good deal. You can look at getting your own table skirt and legs using the calculator/chooser at Osborne Wood products here: ...


best substrate would be 3/4 or 19mm baltic birch ply, or as a second choice, 3/4 maple ply.


I think the only viable low-profile solution considering hollow-core doors is full bracketing on 24-32" centers. You can get away with brackets that extend 1/2 to 2/3 the depth of the top if they're well-anchored to the wall. There will be considerable tension at the upper anchor points. That said, you'll still have flex, and the brackets that fall on the ...


Since it seems you would want a profile height of a 2x4 on edge, I would recommend a 4x4 square steel tube with a wall thickness of at 1/8"-1/4" to minimize deflection. If multiple people are using it, it needs to have even less deflection to reduce bounce/shake from people moving.


According to, a 2" schedule 80 steel pipe with your dimensions would deflect less than an inch in the middle under the weight of 1000 lbs if both ends are fixed. In your case, one end would be fixed to the wall but you'll need to prevent the other from moving laterally under the weight of the table, e.g. by ...


Given the length and aspect ratio that you've proposed, it will be very difficult to meaningfully support the desk the long way. 16' is just way too long to get any support across. Certainly a 2x4 will be basically useless, even "on edge". Also, consider the ergonomics of having a thick tabletop surface: if this is going to be a computer workstation area you ...

Top 50 recent answers are included