Hot answers tagged


Those are screw caps, to prevent nasty people from tampering with the cylinder. They are generally removed by drilling them out.


Modern mortise locksets for bathrooms usually have a deadbolt release on the outside, opposite the deadbolt knob (or thumbturn) in the inside. The release is intended to be operated using a coin or screwdriver. Your lockset presumably lacks this external release feature. However it is likely that the lock body itself has openings on both sides for the ...


There are contraptions that can unlock something like that by going under the door, but they are complicated and difficult to operate. You would be spending days trying to figure out how to get it to work. By far your easiest option will be to go in the window.


Some types of locksets the whole cover screws on and off, using something like a strap wrench. Normally the inside cover is the one you can unscrew (for obvious reasons.) If, as would be implied, you own the home, you could also bore for and add a new lockset, to be non-subtle about it. Or half a dozen, to be REALLY non subtle about it, and a few chains as ...


If you have an identical lockset, then you know exactly how many fastening screws there are. If removing them all doesn't loosen the cover plates, they must be held in place by adhesion to the door's finish. Using your sharpest knife, carefully cut the paint or varnish adjacent to the cover plates. Score it all the way round, the gently work the knife ...


If the lockset in your bathroom is like the ones in the example picture, you should be able to remove the metal coverplate on the outside. There should be 4 slotted screws holding it on. From there, you should have access to the lock itself. There should be a hole in the door that allows you to open the door from the outside. It would be difficult to know ...

Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible