Tag Info

New answers tagged

5

Motors often have a surge load at startup which is much higher than their running load. If they've gone to the trouble of specifying this, I highly recommend taking their word for it.


2

Replace it. There is nothing to "lubricate" (it's already full of oil) and if there was it would not increase resistance. You have some sort of failure in the valving/orifices that restrict the flow of the oil inside the cylinder and convert motion to heat. They are more directly analogous to shock absorbers (as on your car) than "hydraulic cylinders" and ...


0

In almost all cases you can do this. The difference between the microwave models is more about the mounting and how the front looks. There are basically three general types. Your typical countertop microwave which some people just stick in cabinets - which is fine given that the electrical is done right. The you have your over the range which usually ...


1

Microwaves do require ventilation - there are typically cooling fans and airflow is required for them. Many "countertop" models include specifications for required ventilation when mounted in a cabinet. If the "over the range" model you are considering also has a "range hood" function that might call for more ventilation, but even if not using that ...


1

No idea what your paying for the new range but I would think another $20 for a new cord would be a safe investment. Just be sure to check your existing receptacle. Based on your stated age of you old range it is likely you only have a receptacle with 3 prongs. Two hots and a neutral but no ground. All codes and manufacturers now require grounds. Be sure ...


0

Personally... New! Especially as you know it is at least 40 years old. Irrespective of how well things are looked after they degrade over time and I don't think I'd sleep well at night knowing there is a potential issue just waiting for the most inopportune moment to rear it's ugly head.


8

A nearly 40 year old power cord is going to be nasty. Dust, grease, possibly cracked insulation internally, possibly asbestos insulation if the "original" cord was itself recycled. All are fine unless you disturb the cord. Pulling the stove out disturbs the cord. Pulling out a stove is a fairly major operation, I would take the opportunity to completely ...


0

As long as nothing is burned or melted on the plug end, and provided it is appropriate for the application (amperage wise) you should be fine reusing the old cord.



Top 50 recent answers are included