Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The hood over my stove is sucking the heat out of my kitchen. Is there a cover I can put on and take off to stop this loss of heat?

share|improve this question

There should be a vent cover on the outside of the house, at the end of the exhaust with a damper or louvers. Something like this

enter image description here

The damper or louvers will be shut when the hood fan is off, preventing air from coming in or going out.

If you don't have a vent cover like this, you should install one. If you already have one, you'll want to inspect it to make sure it's functioning properly.

share|improve this answer
They also make in-line dampers that you could install at either end of the vent. – BMitch Nov 1 '11 at 12:20
@BMitch I might be reluctant to install an inline damper on a range hood vent, unless it was installed in an easy to access location. Cooking may produce grease and grime that may gum up the works, so if you can't easily access the damper to clean it you might find it stuck shut one day. – Tester101 Nov 1 '11 at 12:33

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.