Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The original builders did a shoddy job when they installed the plumbing in the bathroom, causing the taps/faucets to come out of the tiled plasterboard wall at a slight angle - about 5 degrees - so the flanges aren't flush against the wall. Any ideas on straightning the pipes without breaking the wall; I don't have any spare tiles and am unlikely to find any.

share|improve this question

Can you cut the wall on the other side of the pipes? That might let you get at them without breaking the tile.

Be aware, however, that if you do, it may not help - if the pipes are at an angle, and you straighten them out, you're going to end up with the pipes wanting to come out at a position slightly to the side of where they are now. In other words, the holes in the wall and tile may no longer be in the right position. You may be able to flex things to make this work, but not necessarily.

share|improve this answer
It's a brick wall on the other side of the pipes. The faucets are currently off-center, if I could bend the pipe slightly in the direction required the faucets would be in the center of the holes. Problem is with getting purchase on the pipes to bend them without breaking wall/tiles - may not be possible. – wpeenz Aug 9 '10 at 10:43
I wish all plumbing was built to be accessible without demolition. – Jay Bazuzi Jun 19 '12 at 1:33

Get a long sturdy pipe with a large enough inner diameter so that it can just slide over the pipe you want to bend. Push the large pipe in through the hole in the tiles as fas as you can. Use it as a guide/lever to bend the copper(?) pipe to the angle you need from inside the wall.

It will all depend how much was cut out of the tiles to allow for the plumbing to come though, but that is the only way I can think without hunting for new matching tiles.

use another pipe to bend the plumbing to the desired angle

share|improve this answer
Oops. I think my web host must be intercepting links. Not happy about that. Have inserted pic firectly into response for easier viewing. – Jason Jun 17 '12 at 4:33
Thanks (15 chars) – Niall C. Jun 17 '12 at 4:36
I'd be more inclined to use a dowel that fits inside the existing pipe. More resistant to kinking that way (like a mandrel). – Dave Nay Jun 17 '12 at 14:02

If you are just wanting the flanges to sit flush on the wall, then you can modify the the flange center hole. The modified center hole will be more of an oval than a circle.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.