Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

The contract was to replace an antiquated HVAC and duct work. Since the registers are a standard size, would this connection also be a standard pre-fabricated part? What is that last connection called?

share|improve this question
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I believe it's called a "boot", and yes, they're generally pre-fabricated.

However, if the existing ones are in good shape, they shouldn't need replacing. If they're damaged, then the reasonableness depends on what your contract says.

share|improve this answer
The registers were in good shape, although full of dust and debris. Contractor could have shown some hustle and at least cleaned them while he had access to them. – zundarz Oct 11 '11 at 17:20

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.