Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How can I test a stainless steel product such as a sink to see if it is truly 18g?

share|improve this question
up vote 8 down vote accepted

The gauge refers to the thickness of the steel, which is but one measurement of the quality of the stainless steel (the other main factor is the grade of stainless steel it's using) see: Steel Grades on Wikipedia.

As for measuring the gauge , you can get a Sheet Metal Gauge online, or from your local hardware store. Sheet Metal Gauge

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.