Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have two dedicated circuits that were supposed to be set up with exterior outlets, high up on the wall to run Christmas lights. What I got was two circuits terminated with wire nuts in junction boxes with plastic covers.

If I try to install exterior outlets they of course would NOT hang in the traditional vertical position.

Is there any way to convert these boxes short of cutting them out of the stucco and installing the correct boxes?

share|improve this question
I want to know just how many amps you think your Christmas lights are going to need! ;) – The Evil Greebo Sep 28 '11 at 23:53
In seriousness though - could you post a picture of the outlet in question? – The Evil Greebo Sep 28 '11 at 23:54

Plastic Raised Switch Box Cover

Do you have room to install a "raised switch box cover"? I put that in quotes since I don't know what it is called but I found a picture of what I meant (and that is what they call it). I think it would let you use two receptacles but it would stick out a little further and you may have to find a waterproof version if this is for outside.

share|improve this answer

The orientation of the plugs is not that important, as waterproof covers come in both vert and horizontal styles. I hope they are GFI protected!!! I really would like to see a pic of what we have to start with, so I can tell better what needs to be done. Is the junction box an exterior type? Does it have screw mounting centers for a weatherproof recpt cover?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.