Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I've read that the best way to "antique" a mirror is to use hydrochloric/muriatic acid to burn away some of the metallic backing. According to different sources it can be found easily at hardware stores, but I've had no luck near me and employees look at me like I'm crazy. What products use this strong an acid? I tried CLR, but it wasn't really strong enough. Any ideas?

share|improve this question

4 Answers 4

You need to find a better hardware store. FWIW, you can order it online:


share|improve this answer
Yeah, apparently I do. –  unusualhabit Sep 21 '11 at 14:32

A lot of times you'll find it in the masonry section of your hardware store. It is used a lot for cleaning brick after it is set.

share|improve this answer

Hydrochloric acid is the key component in swimming pool acidifying products (pH Minus). These products usually contain a buffer, which may make them less useful for your project. But, you can also by the stuff "straight": Crown Muriatic Acid - 1 Gallon at Lowe's.

share|improve this answer

Muriatic Acid is also commonly sold for cleaning heavily stained toilets.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.