Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I just bought this hole cutter to make some large holes in a plaster board ceiling. It comes with two sets of blades but no instructions! So which type blade should I use for plaster board?

The blades are claimed to be TCT blades, HSS blades on the box, but they are not labeled, so it is not even clear which blade is which.

Picture of hole cutter

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

TCT = Tungsten Carbide Tipped HSS = High Strength Steel

The tungsten/carbide tipped would probably be best reserved when you're cutting metal or something harder; the high strength steel blades should be sufficient for most applications.

share|improve this answer
Looking at the blade how do I tell between the two – Walker Sep 9 '11 at 8:10
Not sure. Either would be fine to cut into plaster or wood with though. – Karl Katzke Sep 9 '11 at 14:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.