I recently moved in to a new apartment that has a gas range and oven. I have never had a gas stove before, and so I am not sure how it should work.
While cooking the other night, our Carbon Monoxide detector went off. I was using the fan on the hood, and could "see" the gas/exhaust being sucked up into the hood. I opened the windows, and turned off the oven, and we were fine.
After inspecting the hood, I am curious to know if this is how it should be set up.
Here is the hood above the stove.
Here is the opening that empties into the cabinet above the hood.
The hood doesn't vent outside of the kitchen, just flows up into the cabinet and out the hole cut into the top into the room.
- Do I need to be concerned about this setup? Is this dangerous? We use the stove an awful lot, the oven less frequently. Are we at risk for CO poisoning?
- Should my landlord have mentioned this to me, and maybe said "hey, open the windows when you use the stove"?
Can anyone direct me to where I can get a definitive answer on whether this is a real issue? My landlord disagrees and says "modern gas ranges do not emit carbon monoxide"
However, the CDC Carbon Monoxide FAQ website says:
All gas appliances must be vented so that CO will not build up in your home, cabin, or camper.
Never burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn't vented.
I would like to know if I need to get out of this apartment, since the landlord refuses to acknowledge this as an issue, or whether he actually is right, and there is nothing to worry about.
EDIT: This is in Chicago, IL if that helps anyone.