Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In Michigan, there is a service called Miss Dig for identifying buried utility lines. We've just moved from Michigan to New Hampshire, and we would like to know where our utility lines are buried. What service should I call?

share|improve this question
It would perhaps be a good idea to edit the question to be less localized. Then people can answer for different localities. – Vebjorn Ljosa Aug 2 '10 at 11:20
With the wider scope of the question this should probably become community wiki, there won't be one right answer now. – ManiacZX Aug 2 '10 at 12:54
talgov.com/you/dig.cfm – Brian Aug 2 '10 at 17:10
up vote 5 down vote accepted

811 is the universal number for all US states.

Canada has different numbers.

Listing here

share|improve this answer

A list of "Know Before You Dig" services, by state, is available here: 811 Website

For New Hampshire, contact Dig Safe Systems, Inc.

share|improve this answer
Yup - in any state in the US, just dial 811 on your phone, they'll take your information and contact all of the companies that might have utilities in your area. It usually takes a few days for all of the utilities to come out and check, so be sure to leave yourself enough time. – Jared Harley Aug 2 '10 at 3:29
And that list also includes Canadian provinces. – Joe Aug 2 '10 at 12:47
@Jared: At least in Florida, they have to be out within 24 hrs – Brian Aug 2 '10 at 17:12

This question is really too localised, so this answer doesn't apply to all, but in Australia there's Dial Before You Dig on 1100

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.