Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I just found that there is a crack in one of my glass blocks. I noticed that it seems to have water inside. What is the likely cause of this, and how can I repair it? Should I be worried about structural damage?

share|improve this question
If water got in, could it have frozen? Seems unlikely if you are in the northern hemisphere this time of year. – Alex Feinman Aug 29 '11 at 19:45

It's glass...it's a fairly rigid material and will not flex like other potential building materials such as wood, mortar, etc. So, if the house settled, the block may simply have been under enough stress to crack it.

Or, maybe someone shot it with a BB gun.

share|improve this answer
Or a rock hit it (maybe thrown from a lawnmower)? – auujay Aug 29 '11 at 20:50

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.