Take the 2-minute tour ×
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have a PVC pipe sticking up in front of my house, in a flower-bed area. It's 20 inches high and 5 inches in diameter. As I understand, it is a sewer clean-out pipe.

It's rather unsightly and I've been wondering whether I can cover it or cut it to a shorter length.

Obviously I don't want to prohibit access, but I've been thinking a hollow-bottomed bird bath might be ideal to put over it.

What should I do with this thing?

enter image description here

share|improve this question
After you cut it, as others suggest, I'd put a fake rock or something over it other than burying it in dirt. That way it's easier to find when you need it. –  BMitch Aug 27 '11 at 23:18

4 Answers 4

up vote 3 down vote accepted

You will need PVC cement and primer, and a female pipe adapter (available at your local or big-box hardware store; measure your existing plug -- it looks like 4" in the photo). Dig out around the pipe to get enough room to saw it off near ground level (any sharp hand saw will work). De-burr the edge with a piece of course sandpaper or a file, and follow the instructions on the cement and primer to glue the adapter on. Give it some time to set, replace the plug and backfill. As @Scott mentions, measure where it is so that years from now when you need it, you will be able to find it. If the sewer line runs through your basment, mark the location on or near where the pipe exists the house.

share|improve this answer

Cut it off, even with the ground or below ground level.

Take some measurements from the corners of your house so you know where it is when you need it.

share|improve this answer

Paint it brown, green, or even camouflage. Then, plant some taller decorative grasses around it.

share|improve this answer

You could just leave it alone... I got fined $1500, and had to dig it up and replace it... for cutting mine down below 42 inches.

share|improve this answer
Good point -- check with your Local Authority Having Jurisdiction (town inspection office is one good place to start) to find out what you are and aren't allowed to do with it. Hiding it behind or under something might turn out to be your only available option. –  keshlam Jul 3 '14 at 0:34

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.