Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I want to mount my tv above the fireplace. I would like a mount that will let me pull it out and then down so it will clear the mantle and not make us have to look up too far when watching it. If they make something like this, what would it be called?


locked by Niall C. Aug 22 '14 at 3:18

This question exists because it has historical significance, but it is not considered a good, on-topic question for this site, so please do not use it as evidence that you can ask similar questions here. This question and its answers are frozen and cannot be changed. More info: help center.

closed as off-topic by Niall C. Aug 22 '14 at 3:00

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions seeking product or service recommendations are off-topic because they tend to become obsolete quickly. Instead, describe your situation and the specific problem you're trying to solve." – Niall C.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I need the same! The only thing i found is like a swivel arm- that will swing the tv completely out of the way(but you need the same amount of space to the left or right).. nothing that goes up/down.. or ask this guy youtube.com/watch?v=yKwdWgXXnK0 – ppumkin Aug 25 '11 at 9:13
I know this isn't a good answer, but if you need this, then doesn't it mean this is not the right spot to mount the TV? If you're a casual TV watcher that uses it very little, then it shouldn't be a big deal to have it above the mantel. If you watch it quite a bit, isn't it more likely that it's going to be left "down" position most/all the time anyway, blocking your fireplace? Why not just find somewhere else to mount it and/or rearrange your furniture layout so you can permanently mount it without issue? – gregmac Aug 25 '11 at 15:15
I have one other wall I can put it on due to wall shape and entry ways. To be honest I do not like the way the furniture can be laid out with it on that wall. – Charles Lambert Aug 26 '11 at 2:15
also, most of the time we can watch it just fine with it up. The uncommon case is when we have enough company over to use all of the furniture. Some people will be straining to look up quite a bit. – Charles Lambert Aug 26 '11 at 2:16
I'm looking for the same and just found a possibility on Amazon by searching for "mounts that go out and down". :) – user24710 Aug 22 '14 at 2:29
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Dynamic Mounting http://www.dynamicmounting.com/ has a product specifically for this purpose. Be forewarned, they are not cheap (well, maybe cheap compared to a motorized lift, but not cheap compared to simpler articulating arms).


You could consider a motorized TV lift like this one. I have had clients have this. They are not cheap...

These seem to only go vertically and not horizontally. – Charles Lambert Aug 26 '11 at 2:13

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.