Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm in the process of replacing my back fence. One of the existing posts was damaged (crushed) during a tree fall. After finally digging this out, I discovered one of these in it.

enter image description here

What I can't seem to do is get the rest of the wood that's in there out. I realise that they aren't expensive, but for curiosity's sake as much as anything, I'd like to know if there's a tried and trusted method for this kind of thing.

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted
  • Cut the timber so it's flush with the top or just proud of the metal support.

  • From the top, drill a few ½inch (12.5mm) holes as deep as you can into the remaining timber.

  • Then with a "old" wood chisel cut away and remove the remaining timber.

It's nearly impossible just to pull the timber post from the metal support as there are metal "wings" inside that grip (clamp) the timber in place.

share|improve this answer

Is the metal spike still in the ground? If so,

  • Cut the post off 6 inches or so above the metal.
  • Drill a hole horizontally through the wood. I used a 1 inch spade bit.
  • Insert a piece of rebar or some other strong metal rod through the hole and then lever the wood out.
share|improve this answer
Ouch, a downvote? – aphoria Aug 23 '11 at 11:43

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.