Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have a woodworking project which requires a CNC router table. It would need a decent sized table for the 36" x 28" panels. Somebody that spends thousands of dollars on one of these machines must do jobs for other people or rent their expertise and time on it.

What should I be searching for? Is there a specific name for this service or a type of facility which does small jobs? I live in Maine and there doesn't appear to be much for groups equipped with high-end tools, such as hackerspaces or woodworking groups.

share|improve this question
This question might be off topic, as it's not exactly home improvement or DIY. It may also be too localized, as your looking for a place to cut your panels in X city, Maine (not sure that could help folks in India, for example). – Tester101 Aug 9 '11 at 20:44
This isn't necessarily a localized question. This is a question on how to find locations that may that offer but don't advertise this particular service. – Josh Brown Aug 26 '11 at 13:33
up vote 5 down vote accepted

The CNC Zone has an area for matching up people who need CNC work done.

You can also look in your yellow pages for people who make wooden signs as these are commonly made by CNC.

share|improve this answer
Thank you! I found a local furniture maker who does CNC work on the side. – Josh Brown Aug 12 '11 at 22:04

100kGarages.com is a community of workshops with digital fabrication equipment (ShopBots, etc).

share|improve this answer
This is an excellent resource too! There is a single entry for Maine which I'm looking into. – Josh Brown Aug 26 '11 at 13:29

I do not know if this is an option here, but do you have kids that are in school? Do they have a woodshop in their school? If so, ask if you could use one at the school. Most decent schools have a fairly good woodshop for kids to take elective woodworking classes. Even if you dont have kids, if you have a highschool that is near you, go talk to the woodshop teacher and see if they will let you use their tools. Worth a shot if you cannot find anything else.

share|improve this answer
A community college or vocational school might also be an option. – Tester101 Aug 9 '11 at 20:41

protected by BMitch Jan 17 '14 at 21:34

Thank you for your interest in this question. Because it has attracted low-quality or spam answers that had to be removed, posting an answer now requires 10 reputation on this site (the association bonus does not count).

Would you like to answer one of these unanswered questions instead?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.